Lately I’ve felt a bit burnt-out and lacking energy to do the things that are the most creative to me – including this blog. Most of it is due to the whole job transition, lack of vacation, and living in the busy-ness of a city day-in-and-day-out. Sometimes I forget about how much I miss the fresh air and space in my brain that the country gives me.
Thankfully this weekend I was able to step out and spend the weekend at a friend’s in North Carolina. This 48-hours or so of escape was honestly the perfect refresher to my sanity.
Sometimes jumping in the car and leaving isn’t quite so easy. When my schedule is a bit busier I try to spend at least a few moments each day, or on my Sundays, finding balance and reminding myself that not everything needs to be so chaotic. Here are some simple – and some of my favorite – things I like to do to refresh:
- Read a good book with a cup of coffee (or a glass of vino)
- Go for a walk in your neighborhood
- Listen to an artist you use to love, but haven’t listened to in a hot minute
- Write down a list of five simple things you’re thankful for
- Call a friend who you haven’t spoken to in a while (texting doesn’t count!)
- Buy a new nail polish shade and give yourself an at-home mani
- Sit in the fresh air for a little while
- Take a bath with your favorite products
- Do some light cleaning
- Light your favorite candle
- Laugh (Aziz Ansari released a new comedy special on Netflix + it’s a gem)
- Buy fresh flowers that make your space smell great
- Take a nap with the windows opened
- Try making a recipe that reminds you of home
- Write a card to someone you haven’t seen in a while
- Disconnect from social media for a day
- Go for an aimless drive and blast music
- Buy something small you’ve been putting off (for me, this is a $5 camera clip on for my phone)
- Try a new coffee shop (or go to your favorite spot)
- Eat ice cream (and don’t care about serving sizes)
- Dance in your socks
- Take a positive look on something negative
- Change your alarm to something that makes you smile
What are some simple things you do to make sure your week is a good one? I’d love to hear!
I’m heading home next weekend so I’m excited to continue these good habits. Have a great week y’all!