Thankfully I’m able to say that 2014 was one of the best years for me. I finally took the time to learn more about myself and celebrate the little joys in life. I gained some of my closest friends, finished decorating my apartment, and accomplished some personal goals that I had my eye on for a while.
Going into 2015 I want to keep the same ‘self-love’ that I think pushes everyone to be a better person. One of the most important things of keeping this promise is also ensuring I’m taking simple steps to live a healthier life. A lot of my resolutions in previous years had fallen to the wayside because, frankly, they were a bit too out of reach. Lets be honest: completely changing your lifestyle (or gym habits) between day 365 and day 1 are lofty. Throughout this week I’ll be sharing some of my favorite simple steps that I can start doing on day 1 and continue throughout the rest of 2015:
- Drink the recommended amount of water per day
- Take better care of my skin
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
First Things First: Water Intake
Drinking the recommended amount of water per day is probably one of the simplest things you can do to better your health. Not only can it keep your skin looking fresh, it also can help you lose weight, speed up your metabolism, and help curb your appetite. Although there is no set-in-stone recommendation of how much you should drink per day, it is recommended to consume at least eight 8-ounce glasses. This may seem like a lot but here are some simple things you can do to ‘spice’ up your intake:
- Infuse your water – This is probably my favorite way to drink water in the office. Glass after glass of plain water can bore your palette and leave you to drinking less. I love adding fresh fruit and herbs into my water for a great flavor. Cucumbers and lemons are perfect for a refreshing take, while strawberries and lime are a sweeter combination. Not only do they taste great but they also look beautiful. I also was introduced to Mio by my friend Amy and have been obsessed ever since. These tiny bottles pack a ton of flavor and the squeeze bottle can allow for a heavier, or lighter, flavor. They also aren’t a syrupy flavor that some other brands seem to have. My favorite flavor is Tangerine and they can be picked up at your local supermarket or drug store for easy convenience!
- Add bubbles – Consider adding some carbonation for a fun way to up your consumption. If you are lucky enough to own a soda stream, this is an easy step. There are also several 0 calorie sparkling water brands out there that are flavored: my favorites being S. Pellegrino and Trader Joes.
- Invest in a water bottle – I am a sucker for water bottles – I easily have three of them stored in my desk at all times. When looking for a bottle it’s important to find one that is insulated to keep your water colder for a longer time. I recently purchased a gold gem from Starbucks’ Dot Collection (which are all on sale for at least 50% off now!) and have been eyeing this S’well bottle. Not only are their products beautiful, but they also donate fresh water to those in need.
- Use a tracking device – I had received my Fitbit for my birthday and am in love with it! Not only can it track my daily steps, it also has a very handy water intake monitor in the app. Sometimes it can be easy to forget exactly how much you drink so this easy “click and log” system keeps track of it for you. Plus, it shows you exactly how much you should drink for your body weight and how much you have left to go.
- Set a time limit – This is something I have yet to try but I’ve heard great things about. Fill your water bottle to a certain level and track with lines exactly what you need to drink by what time. This is a great idea for someone who keeps busy as it gives you simple goals to match during the day.
Hope this helps guide you all to a healthier and happier new year. What’s your favorite trick for drinking your h20?